Wednesday, November 26, 2008

Why I Love Being A Filipino

(Note: This post is not meant to belittle any race as no one is really above or lower than another. This is just a personal rave on why I love being a Filipino)



As a freelance writer, I get to work with people from different countries. This has somehow given me an insight on what makes one race/ nationality different from the other. It has also made me aware of the different things that makes someone rant or rave. For example, one online site that I belong to had people wondering why some freelance workers charge as low as $1.00 when that wouldn't have even bought you a pack of gum (I'm guessing here, not really sure how much it costs). That has got me thinking why I love being a Filipino when it comes to money matters:



1. US$1 = Php 49.00 = 1 Coke 1.5 liters/ 1-way bus ride from our house to Sta. Cruz Church (about 1 1/2 hour ride, mind you this is already an air-conditioned bus)

2. Jeepneys! I do not have to worry about the rising prices of diesel, etc. I could get from one point to the next (approx. 4 kilometers) at only Php 8.00 (US$ 0.17) with these beautiful creations :D

3. Credit Cards! If you could get credit cards in other countries even if you are just a student, here in the Philippines you would have to wait till your earning Php 120,000 per year (US$ 2,500++) and only after you have submitted several (read: more than three financial documents) to the bank.

4. Complete meal at Php 40.00 c/o Jollibee (okay, I'm not really an avid Jollibee fan. I'm more of a McDonald's type of person but this is just too neat not to mention).

5. Free TV - except if you are like me who goes nuts over CSI etc, cable TV is not something that you would NEED to have. And you don't need to have your own TV set also because you can watch TV at the bus, at your neighbor's house, and even at your local 'carinderia' (eateries).

6. No need to buy new books because you would always have Recto and BookSale where you could get secnd hand books at a much lower price.

7. Ukay-Ukay. Don't ask me what it means nor even ask me to translate it because I can't. But it is a good place to buy clothes (read: rock-bottom prices)

8. Chismis (rumors) - I don't have to buy newspapers because I could get my daily dose of news from the local bystander (and it even comes with a free 'editorial').

I wanted to include those fake ODM watches, etc. but I am not sure if that would count as something to be proud of hehehehe

Isn't it great to be a Filipino?


Digg!

3 comments:

  1. You forgot food. I'd get so fat if I lived there. But maybe food is something we take for granted when we have to eat it everyday?

    Anyway, regarding rates on freelancing sites: If I lived in the Philippines (or even Mexico, where it's not as cheap, but still cheaper than the US), I'd be rich and I'd love it. But this is my home and I like living here, so I accept it and charge $20+/hr to those willing to pay for it. It's not hard if people would just quit complaining and start doing something about it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. yeah, I haven't really given much thought about Filipino food.

    And you know what, that's what I am also hoping for - that people would stop complaining and just start doing something about their situation.

    In all honesty, you are one of the few people I've met that I really look up to...cheesy but true :D

    ReplyDelete
  3. Haha. You're right, that is cheesy. I'm going to have to start ignoring you now. :P

    ReplyDelete