Thursday, November 26, 2009

The Maguindanao Massacre - Update


I was supposed to make a post about ten movies I keep watching over and over and what I have learned from them. Unfortunately, I can't because right now, I am so seething with anger after what happened in Maguindanao.
Call me crazy but yeah, I take things like these very seriously to the point that I dream about it/ them whenever I go to sleep.
The pictures that came with the news shouldn't shock me as I am used to seeing dead, decapitated, lasug-lasog bodies courtesy of Documenting Reality, but it did. The brutality by which the killings were done was something that I thought could never happen here in the Philippines. One of the victims had her private parts slashed a number of times and then a bullet was fired through it. The breasts were shot, the feet cut off. They also shot her through the mouth. This victim was Vice Mayor Mangudadatu's wife.
There were also reports that some of the women were raped. Aside from that, a convoy of NGOs that happened to pass by that area (and had no links to the Mangudadatu's) were also killed.
What happened in Maguindanao and how fast they could deal with it will definitely have an impact on the present administration's image (including Gibo's image since he if the admin's standard bearer). Yun nga lang, I'm afraid that they would just seek for a fall guy just so they could show to the world that they were doing something.
57 dead bodies, a backhoe bearing Ampatuan's name, suspicious characters asking the front desk of a hotel the names of the journalists, Mangudadatu's wife last call specifically pointing to Ampatuan's involvement...I am not sure what else to think but these circumstantial evidences may already be enough to at least invite the Ampatuan's for questioning.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
...and will someone please tell Inquirer.net that the Globe pop-up advertisement in their site sucks? It is very irritating! I'm reading an article and then suddenly you have those Globe ads blocking the news article for 10 seconds. It might seem to be a short time but 10 seconds is still 10 seconds. Don't these guys know that the fastest way to lose a reader online is to have pop-up ads?
Update:
  1. Ampatuan blames the MILF for the massacre. Unfortunately, it was Mangadadatu's wife who positively identified him as the perpetrator during a phone call to her husband before she got killed.
  2. I saw a blog that somehow corrected some misconceptions about the killing. However, I do believe that this massacre is considered to be horrendous not because of the number of journalists that got killed but because of the number of INNOCENT PEOPLE who got killed, regardless whether they are journalists or women or drivers, over a short period of time. This massacre has NOTHING to do with religion.